[ale] Time for this Grey Beard to stir up some stuff

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Jul 22 13:26:34 EDT 2021

And when the user's stuff breaks, as complex stuff always does, he or
she begins the desperate search for somebody with the knowledge to fix
the entangled monolith. Meanwhile, the Geek uses something simple and
easy to fix.

I've owned and driven cars with carburetors and points. Recent models
reasonably cared for "just worked". For the person not willing to gap
plugs or adjust timing, professional help was fairly inexpensive.

I'll admit that in today's era of 32 to 60 MPG, computers are a must for
gas mileage and minimal pollution. But they're misused: Almost every
system goes through computers. I remember my father in law's computer
equipped van's alarm went off at nights. I figured "heck, I'll just cut
the power to the alarm". Ummm, no, a microprocessor decided when the
alarm system needed to blare the horn. And don't get me started on speed
sensitive steering and suspension. What could *possibly* go wrong?

SteveT
--
Steve Litt

Dow Hurst via Ale said on Wed, 21 Jul 2021 17:31:17 -0400