[ale] Ubuntu Desktop versus Ubuntu Server?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu Jan 21 17:22:48 EST 2021

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 04:15:04PM -0600, Neal Rhodes via Ale wrote:
> IF I install the Ubuntu server version, is that going to get me that?   I
> should be able to do all I need from a command line session.

Why install desktop anything if you're going to run it headless?

Do a server (or minimal) install, and you can install whatever packages
you want on top of that.  apt will automagically sort out the
dependencies.

Granted if the display adapter is shot you'll still probably be all
screwed up in the text consoles, so you might want to consider picking
up an old cheap grafix card off of craigslist or whatever...

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)