[ale] Ubuntu Desktop versus Ubuntu Server?

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Thu Jan 21 17:15:04 EST 2021

Finally a true linux question: we are intending to put Ubuntu 20.4 on a
Dell Optiplex 740 to run a JackTrip audio mixing server.   Basically
it's going to sit almost headless.

This Optiplex 740 was my wife's before we tried to update from windows 7
to 10, and the video just when bonkers.  Impossible to describe.  Some
stuff is ok, and then, crazytown.

I just did the install of Ubuntu desktop, and ....... the video is still
bonkers.  Like the worst migraine headache you ever had.

All I need is for this box to come up, get a DHCP address, and accept
SSH from elsewhere.

IF I install the Ubuntu server version, is that going to get me that?
I should be able to do all I need from a command line session.

Regards,

Neal