[ale] Linux based door locks

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Jan 21 15:49:31 EST 2021

On 2021-01-20 22:32, Michael Potter via Ale wrote:

The door end is typically an HID reader and relay for the door strike or
magnetic latch.  Those parts are not that expensive on their own.

The backend is the harder part for integrating with other systems (if
needed).

There's also the liabilities involved in locking doors electronically.
When a commercial entity manages the system, if there's a failure they
are the ones to pony up for lawsuits.

If you're doing it for your home, plenty of options.  If you're doing it
for a business, you may not want to go there as DIY.