[ale] Bridge for LAN/Wifi

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Jan 9 15:28:20 EST 2021

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 12:45:16 -0500
Boris Borisov via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Back in the days we did it with couple wifi 11Mbps devices in bridge
> mode. I thinks we're one of these early Linksys devices. That was the
> backup of the ethernet cable. Wasn't 150 feet more like width of six
> lanes.
>
> The other backup was leased line with couple modems.
>
> Networks was more exciting back then. You go with whatever can build
> or afford.
>
> Firewals, servers, long range wifi antennas, internet billing systems
> all hand made and coded :)

If you really have reliable every-time line of sight, I'd imagine a
green laser from one building to a solar cell at the next building
would do the trick. The laser would need to be high off the ground to
avoid blinding anyone.

At 17 I did the analog equivalent. I placed the speaker output of an
amp in series with a flashlight with batteries, shined it into a solar
cell several feet away, amplified the output of the solar cell, and got
the audio loud and clear, if a little treble-challenged.

By the way, if you strike a match in front of an amplified solar cell,
the sound coming out of the amplifier sounds just like the sound a
stricken match makes without an amplifier. In other words, the light
patterns resemble the sound patterns.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive