[ale] How useful is Raspbian for Newbie Learning Linux?

Mark Ogilvie electrophic at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 13:59:40 EST 2021

Someone asked what my specific learning goals were.
In a nutshell I am open to whatever career opportunities a knowledge of
Linux will provide.
At present I install and service workstations and point of sale machines,
but sometimes need to help with servers. My lack of Linux skills is
severely limiting my ability to help customers in this arena. I hope that
Linux on my Raspberry Pi can help me accomplish most of the following:

How to get access to a Linux server.

What a Linux distribution is and which one to choose.

What software is needed to connect to Linux from Mac and Windows computers.

What SSH is and how to use it.

The file system layout of Linux systems and where to find programs,
configurations, and documentation.

The basic Linux commands you'll use most often.

Creating, renaming, moving, and deleting directories.

Listing, reading, creating, editing, copying, and deleting files.

Exactly how permissions work and how to decipher the most cryptic Linux
permissions with ease.

How to use the nano, vi, and emacs editors.

Two methods to search for files and directories.

How to compare the contents of files.

What pipes are, why they are useful, and how to use them.

How to compress files to save space and make transferring data easy.

How and why to redirect input and output from applications.

How to customize your shell prompt.

How to be efficient at the command line by using aliases, tab completion,
and your shell history.

How to schedule and automate jobs using cron.

How to switch users and run processes as others.

How to find and install software.