[ale] How useful is Raspbian for Newbie Learning Linux?

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 15:47:47 EST 2021

Yeh, raspbian in particular is basically debian, a popular Linux distro
with all the bells an' whistles (I'm typing this reply on my Debian desktop
machine).
One of the great things about using an RPi is its size -- the whole OS fits
handily on a 16 gb card, so backup and restore of the entire thing is
pretty feasible from a desktop PC.  Screw it up entirely and can't find
your way out?  Just restore!

I always kind of wonder what 'learning linux' entails.  To me at least, it
means being comfortable at the command line and having a working knowledge
of Linux directory structure and administrative tasks (e.g. adding and
removing users, connecting to wifi, mass storage setup, software
installation from a repository, and perhaps setting up the webserver of
your choice). Command line comfort means being able to troubleshoot simple
problems (e.g. setting ${PATH} correctly), familiarity with at least one
text editor (e.g. pico, vi, or emacs) and the ability to write at least a
few lines of the shell of your choice to automate common tasks, like
editing the next chapter of your novel or firing up your favorite DAW
software.  Raspbian comes pre-configured to Just Work, but you can easily
dive into this stuff from there. Familiarity with Raspbian will be really
handy for setting up Debian (and vice-versa).  Most other distros differ
only in what my daughter calls "buttonology".

I've taught several iterations of a three-hour "Intro to Raspberry Pi"
class using Rasbian. We go through some basic setup tasks, connect to a
local network, and create some simple ways to control an LED from a
browser. One other cool thing about the Pi is that the hardware is right
close to the OS.  Talking to the digital I/O pins is easy-peasy even from
the command line (you basically just echo a "1" or a "0" to a device).
That puts all kinds of entertaining projects within reach of the average
basement hacker.

-- CHS