[ale] So, who do we like for a new 4 port gigabit LAN/WAN Firewall Routers these days?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Feb 25 11:11:42 EST 2021

On 2/25/21 10:24 AM, Scott Plante via Ale wrote:
> There used to be a couple of open source distros designed to be
> loaded onto commercial router hardware, but I can't place the name at
> the moment. I believe Netgear used to denote model numbers ending in
> "L" as particularly suitable for this. I tried it one time, but on a
> very old wifi router that didn't have the up-to-date radios for the
> wi-fi I wanted so I didn't keep up with it. It seemed like a well
> done project at the time.
>
> Is that still a thing and is anyone on the list doing that today? If
> so, does it still have a reputation for being much more secure than
> most of the stock firmwares?

Yes, it is still a thing. Many cheap brands directly use dd-wrt or
openwrt with a brand skin. They pay those projects.

It was Linksys with the "L" in the model numbers.   WRTxxxxxL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series#WRT54GL
The FSF sued Cisco: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FSF_vs._Cisco