[ale] Sorry

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Sat Feb 13 13:12:27 EST 2021

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 09:28:22AM -0500, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> You couldn't resist, could you.

*shrug* You're the one insisting on throwing stones in your glass house.

> Here's a history lesson for you.
>
> https://www.history.com/topics/inventions/interchangeable-parts

You need to read your own citations.

Those "interchangable parts" were only interchangable for a single,
specific, new, firearm design. It was intended to vastly speed up
manufacturing and field repair, because every weapon became truly
identical, with identical parts making it up.

It didn't let parts intended for one firearm design seamlessly work on
another.  It didn't let users in the field swap parts for ones that did
different things.

Meanwhile.  My truck consists of thousands of "interchangable parts".
None of them [1] are interchangable with any of the parts in my car
That doesn't make either of them somehow non-modular.

[1] I suppose some of the screws/fasteners/connectors might be the same.
And maybe the gas cap too.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)