[ale] What divides Linux Distros?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Sat Feb 6 11:23:54 EST 2021

On Sat, Feb 06, 2021 at 10:07:37AM -0500, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
> And don't get me started about how systemd has screwed the fstab and
> made running fsck 100x harder by removing the touch /forcefsck
> capability.

'man systemd-fsck'

tl;dr:

  add 'fsck.mode=force' to your kernel cmdline.
  add 'fcsk.repair=yes' if you want it to try and fix things too.

Of course, this only applies if systemd is responsible for mounting the
filesystems in your distro.

(I should also point out that remvoving '/forcefsck' isn't the fault of
 systemd; it's the _distro_ authors that chose to remove support here.)

> Redhat/IBM giving away RHEL for small needs is both good and bad for
> Linux.

Eh, RedHat is the largest (or second largest) upstream contributor to
pretty much every component of the Linux ecosystem, and every single bit
of is released as Free/Open-Source software.  RHEL funds nearly all of
that.

Red Hat's power and influence comes from the fact that they are the ones
actually doing (and/or paying for) more work than everyone else put
together.. and doing it all in an upstream-first manner.

> people will run it at their homes. Brilliant, just like a drug dealer
> with "the first taste is free" promotions.

Um, you do realize you're talking about F/OSS here.  Not only does Red
Hat supply the complete corresponding source code to everything they
ship, but they also provide the entire distro-building tooling and
infrastructure for anyone else to clone and re-use.

Sure, cloning all of that is still going to take equipment, plenty of
ongoing effort, and obscene amounts of bandwidth.  All of which costs
money that has to come from _somewhere_.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)