[ale] What divides Linux Distros?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Feb 5 17:05:04 EST 2021

On 2/5/21 1:50 PM, Leam Hall via Ale wrote:
> Besides some of us not liking systemd, is there a real reason for so
> many Linux distros? Outside of "because we can", I mean.
>
> Not putting anyone down, I just wonder what would happen if we joined
> efforts a bit more.

Everyone is a little different. If someone decides to make a slightly
different distro (cough - Linux Mint), then they can. People get tired
of kitchen sink solutions, when we all have different kitchens. Every
Linux user needs a slightly different solution.

You may as well ask, why are there so many colors, types of shoes,
vehicles, TVs, desks, chairs, word processors, blogs.

The places where copyright and patents block new ideas are where
choices are limited. Look at the proprietary Desktop OS landscape. It
is basically the same choice as DSL vs Cable for internet. We all know
how well that lack of competition has turned out for each of us.

Thank dog for Linux!