[ale] What divides Linux Distros?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Feb 5 16:51:16 EST 2021

On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 13:50:43 -0500
Leam Hall via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Besides some of us not liking systemd, is there a real reason for so
> many Linux distros? Outside of "because we can", I mean.
>
> Not putting anyone down, I just wonder what would happen if we joined
> efforts a bit more.

Another reason: The workings and scope of the package manager. With
Debian, Devuan, Ubuntu etc you can get almost any software via the
package manager. With something like Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux,
you get what they give you, and compile the rest if you can.

Which brings up the point that some Linux distros are engineered from
the ground up to be light on resources.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive