[ale] How old is this list?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Feb 2 17:38:50 EST 2021

On 2/2/21 4:56 PM, Jim Kinney via Ale wrote:

> Linux is so much more than it used to be. I'm very glad Maddog gave
> that alpha to Linus! Stood in a line to get that first AMD Opteron
> cpu and mobo and had a working, mostly 64-bit install about 6 hours
> later. To bad that box got hit by lightning 5 weeks later.

Well, the Opteron wasn't an Alpha, lest anyone be confused. Guess Jim was happy about 64-bit Unix code basically being a solved problem long before PC hardware was 64-bit.

First time I met Maddog (doubt he remembers) was after my boss's boss at Loral NASA-JSC told me to make time to go meet someone, whatever to took. Perhaps 5 people made it to the location. He handed out Linux + Alpha temporary tattoos.  My job provided lots of flexibility since I was on-call 24/7/360 (or so). Swore I'd never have an on-call job again, ever. There's only so many 2am-5am pages someone not in operations should get.