[ale] Systemd daemon take overs

DJ-Pfulio DjPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu May 21 08:07:13 EDT 2020

Appreciate the dialog. Thanks!

On Wed, 20 May 2020 20:50:33 -0400
Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 01:55:44PM -0400, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
> > I've only had USB storage with loose connections flake out.  NFS is
> > always there, always stable. Perhaps I'm just lucky?
>
> Unless your NFS client is a laptop that was suspended and moved to a
> different network.  Or your NFS mount is across a VPN-over-DSL tunnel
> that can't traffic-shape its way out of a wet paper sack...

Well, that's just stupid, isn't it?  I suspend my laptop with active
NFS mount almost every night. Those mounts are managed by autofs.  I
don't suspend - ever - when the laptop gets into a vehicle. Then I shut
it down completely. The HDD is encrypted, so it is not left alone
suspended.

> > > (Fedora doesn't do this; it defaults to chronyd and ntpd remains
> > > available)
> >
> > I'd rather not run a test/dev OS.
>
> My point about Fedora is that even a supposedly bleeding-edge OS that
> was the first mainstream adopter of systemd doesn't use every feature
> that systemd supporst.  They've actually been pretty conservative,
> only switching when there's a clear advantage.

Canonical has been taking more and more risks with their LTS releases.
They've always tried risky stuff in the non-LTS releases. Some of those
trials fail badly, like Wayland, so they get pulled as the default for
the LTS.  Some things that are failures, like snaps, don't get pulled
from the LTS, unfortunately.

> (And FWIW my statements apply to RHEL/CentOS too)
>
> > works just like is has since the early 1990s, probably longer.  Only
> > with portable devices is that an issue.
>
> ...Portable devices are the probably the majority these days.  (Yeah,
> there are eleventy-million Linux servers deployed, but only a tiny
> fraction is directly administered on an individual basis..)

What? Guess I'm in that tiny fraction.  3 portable devices (phone,
tablet, laptop) in active use, but about 15 non-portable devices. 2 are
desktops. The rest are snowflake servers.

> > > (Just tested it now, in fact... Fedora 31 and 32 both work fine
> > > with mount -a)
> >
> > What do you mean "fine."  You added a mount or changed mount options
> > and those changes were seen?
>
> Yes.

> At least in Fedora/RHEL-land) /sbin/mount does not interact with
> systemd.

Ubuntu doesn't seem to work that way on 16.04 and later.

> Ubuntu badly bungled its pulseaudio integration, and is responsible
> for nearly all of the ill-will mis-directed towards PA.  Other
> distros, including Fedora (which actually adopted it earlier), had
> far fewer problems; indeed most of the persistent issues there were
> from buggy proprietary software (eg Flash) that didn't even reliably
> work with ALSA..

Don't know much about audio. Really isn't THAT important on most
of my systems until the last few months. Media is usually played on
Kodi r-pi systems. My desktops don't use the default DEs. Usually run
fvwm or openbox.  Never saw the point of any DE.