[ale] Very cheap basic mail hosting with IMAP

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Sun Feb 23 06:57:07 EST 2020

On Sunday 23 February 2020, Alex Carver via Ale wrote:
> Anyone have a suggestion for a very cheap mail host that can handle just
> a couple messages per day with IMAP capability?  I have domains
> registered through Godaddy right now and they've suddenly decided that
> the basic single mail address they provide with domains is going away in
> favor of MS Exchange/Office 365 and they will be charging for it.
>
> I use it to send time critical messages that my machines generate to my
> phone (monitored by K9 mail) because it's cheaper than sending text
> messages to my phone (I pay per message).  I don't need much at all, the
> messages are stripped down by procmail before sending them out so
> they're only like 1 kB or so and I delete them shortly after receiving
> them so I don't even need much storage.  I already run my mail server at
> home but this is a secondary path that exists outside of my network for
> a little redundancy.  I don't need to transfer the domains or buy
> another one necessarily, I can just point the MX records at the host.

If you have no plans to ever move a popular web site to them, then a tiny
plan at A Small Orange should fit your needs. $25 per year and the only
limits are bandwidth, storage and 1000 emails per hour. Do not use IMAP
myself but positive they have it.

They are owned by AIG and bad things have happened at some of the other 83
hosting compines owned by AIG. Not aware of any at ASO or involving email.
--
William