[ale] OT: My Biggest PC Build Blunders

jhubbslist at att.net jhubbslist at att.net
Wed Aug 12 12:17:26 EDT 2020

Same thing happened to me once. Work PC built by a mom-and-pop; kept
crashing in the middle of a WinNY install but not always quite in the
same place. Paper covering a square of heat compound on the bottom of
the heatsink left on.

Way even before that: worked late shift at Robins AFB; quartet or
quintet of DEC VAXen. Row of disk drive cabinets and disk controllers -
controllers about the size of a big dorm fridge. Everything screeched to
a halt one night. Went upstairs to see if I could figure out what
happened. One of the disk controllers was off - stone dead. Looked
around inside and a paper label on a airflow detector inside a blower
duct had come loose and covered the holes in the side of the detector.
That was either one of the best or luckiest troubleshooting jobs I'd
ever accomplished. :)