[ale] Interesting (to me at least) tale of woe and a question

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Thu Sep 12 11:47:24 EDT 2019

No.   If a domain expires then anyone that wants can legally register it.

Most of the time after the "expiration" for your registration the registrar will keep it for 60 days but "park it" so it no longer points to your web site/DNS.   During that period you can renew the registration and they'll bring you back up as you were.

I'm guessing from what you said, the non-profit simply waited until the registrar's 60 days passed and just registered it as if it were a new domain again.

If the original name is important then it is usual to keep the registration and simply do web redirection of some sort to the new web page on the newer domain.   We do a fair number of acquisitions here and redirect most to one of our existing brands or to our main generic product web site.   On the generic site it determines which brand you get by the zip code you input when checking to see if our products are available in your area.

Whoever maintains the web page can generally add in rules to accept the old URL and do the redirection to the new URL.