[ale] Is there anybody we don't hate too much for Refurbs?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Oct 26 17:28:07 EDT 2019

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 20:05:58 -0500
Neal Rhodes via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Understand that I'd rather give a tiger a vasectomy than risk
> screwing up my wife's desktop with 15 years of corporate tax returns.
>  More pain, but shorter duration.

My first thought is that you'd better back up that computer, fast. And
keep it on a backup schedule.

My second thought is that your wife's data would be safer and more
easily backed up (rsync, probably) on a Linux computer. Her data
directories can be served out by a suitably secured Samba, to a Windows
computer of her choice.

With all the trouble you're having installing a modern Windows, is
refurb really the way to go? You could get a brand new Windows computer
with brand new Windows and a brand new license. Save the refurbs for
your Linux boxes where OS licenses aren't an issue.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3ocwmvp

$1000 for 16GB RAM and 1TB 7200 rpm with 9gen i7.

Raising to 2TB is $50, and raising to 32GB RAM is another $200. Both
help future-proof your computer. If you get both, and they enable you
to use it for 5 years before obsolescence, that's $250/year, which is a
tiny hardware expense on a computer used for corporate stuff.

Be sure to use this computer only with the windows they provide,
however, because the text on the above referred page says installation
of an alternate OS may void the warranty.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key