[ale] SSD stuck in R/O.

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Oct 10 16:04:57 EDT 2019

On 10/9/19 9:08 PM, Chris Fowler via Ale wrote:
> I've got this odd problem with a SSD that I've only seen twice.  At some
> point it becomes read-only.  The kernel has not clue about this problem
> . There are no printk() messages.  All writes to the SSD appear to work,
> but at boot everything that happened during that boot is gone.
>
> I know the date it happened because everything in /var/log/messages
> after 9/18 is from the current boot only.
>
> Where does this data go?  If  I am not truly writing to SSD where are
> the bits being stored before I do the reboot and they are all gone?

When this happened to me twice before, it was a warning that the SSD was
about to fail.  Usually, a reboot would get it mounted R/W for a few
weeks. If this were in a business, I'd replace the SSD ASAP - today,
tomorrow.

At home, I'd look for a replacement SSD on a deal sight and buy it when
the price dropped for a reputable SSD.

Obviously, I'd have excellent, daily, backups for any data I didn't want
lost.