[ale] SSD stuck in R/O.

Robert Slaughter robert.s.slaughter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 00:40:14 EDT 2019

In cases of SSD, and those restrictions, it sounds like putting /var/log
and /tmp on one is a Bad Idea(tm)

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 9:51 PM Alex Carver via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> On 2019-10-09 18:08, Chris Fowler via Ale wrote:
> > I've got this odd problem with a SSD that I've only seen twice. At some
> point it becomes read-only. The kernel has not clue about this problem .
> There are no printk() messages. All writes to the SSD appear to work, but
> at boot everything that happened during that boot is gone.
> >
> > I know the date it happened because everything in /var/log/messages
> after 9/18 is from the current boot only.
> >
> > Where does this data go? If I am not truly writing to SSD where are the
> bits being stored before I do the reboot and they are all gone?
> >

> You tripped the protection mechanism on the SSD.  It sounds like it's
> exhausted the total number of writes so it locked the drive.  When you
> write something the data just goes into the bit bucket (or to the large
> RAM cache on board)
>
> Make sure your machine is not doing things like updating access times on
> files and other such events because that runs up the wear indication
> register.

Bob Slaughter
http://www.facebook.com/robert.s.slaughter
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled
by evil men." -- Plato
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing." -- Edmund Burke
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but
because of those who look on and do nothing." -- Albert Einstein
"Nothing emboldens the wicked so greatly as the lack of courage on the part
of the good." -- Pope Leo XIII, encyclical 'On Christians as Citizens'