[ale] State of play re home Internet with static IP

lnxgnome lnxgnome at hopnet.net
Tue Mar 5 22:26:08 EST 2019

On 3/5/19 3:31 AM, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
> I've been with Comcast Biz for almost a decade now. It is slow AND
> expensive. They bumped up the price another $2 in January.  TV cannot
> run over the same physical COAX as business Internet. Something about
> residential TV restrictions. That means the TV COAX and ISP COAX with
> Comcast will be separate.

Not so slow for me @ 75(90)/15(18) in Cobb, but yes to expensive.

How "separate" do you think they meant?  I had both Residential
TV/Internet and Business Internet coming into my home/office on the same
coax for over a year, until I canceled the Residential service.  There
are/were two dumb/passive coax splitters in the basement.  The first
split TV and Internet to two locations (TV upstairs, Internet
downstairs), and the second split the signal between the Comcast
Business Gateway and my old Motorola SurfBoard SB6121.

That worked fine unless the power went out.  The SB wouldn't re-sync as
long as the Biz GW was connected.  Just had to disconnect the Biz GW
long enough for the SB to sync, then reconnect the Biz GW and all was
well in the world.