[ale] State of play re home Internet with static IP

Joey Kelly joey at joeykelly.net
Mon Mar 4 20:37:27 EST 2019

On Monday, 4 March 2019 19:24:54 EST Jeff Hubbs via Ale wrote:

> I have not yet called about any of AT&T's business residential offerings
> but when I got a flyer in the mail about some kind of fiber service
> being available in my neighborhood and called to inquire, I couldn't get
> anything even remotely like a straight answer but the upshot was that
> no, the fiber service wasn't available to me. I'm quite rather done with
> AT&T, to be honest.

It's not fiber to the side of your house, it's fiber to the box down the street,
and it's powered by the local electric company, hence the 20-minute downtime
any time the power blips (though I've never heard of it being as bad as you've
experienced). A major selling point in the old days was that the power could
be out for weeks after a hurricane, but your phone would still work. Those
days are long gone.

Me? I refuse to have anything to do with AT&T, and once did without broadband
for 4 months, tethering off my phone the whole time. You can always find fault
with Comcast, but it's light years better than AT&T.

--
Joey Kelly
Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant