[ale] Xorg.conf help requested

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Jan 24 13:36:23 EST 2019

Seems SOLVED.

The GPU card was seeing the adapter's faulty EDID output, not the monitors.

The answer after about 20 other attempts and lots-o-reading was to
disable the nvidia driver check for what it thought was a valid mode
using the EDID data provided directly from hardware and to force the
correct EDID values (don't do this unless you ACTUALLY GET THE CORRECT
values):

Adding this line to the "Screen" section:
   Option "ModeValidation" "NoExtendedGpuCapabilitiesCheck"

I already had the exact, correct modes and real, correct monitor EDID data.

Another helpful option was to enable debug output
Adding this line to the "Device" section:
    Option      "ModeDebug"

Made the Xorg.0.log file have lots of information about what the card
was being told by the xorg and DVI-D-to-VGA adapter ($8).  None of this
would have been needed if that adapter actually had the correct EDID for
the monitor.

I was about to order a 4-port HDMI KVM for $80.