[ale] Versioned backups are simple now.

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Jan 20 10:02:07 EST 2019

Don't forget that ZFS actually validates what was sent to be written was
actually written to the disk.

If a file is corrupted and you don't realize it within the backup
versions, either the versions retained aren't long enough or the file
isn't THAT important.  Of course, regulatory mandates can alter this.

For a desktop, 60 days of versioned backups has been sufficient.
For higher risk systems, 180 days might be needed. If you like monthly
or yearly archives, that is easy. It is just storage space.

For off-site archives, rsync the rdiff-backup dirs to somewhere you trust.

But there are lots of ways to slice this sashimi.