[ale] Versioned backups are simple now.

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 09:03:22 EST 2019

That's where the rolling backup/restore process is useful.

Of course there's a rabbit hole of depth of backup storage. Bit rot happens on tape, too. I've seen diff run between archivals of full backups as a deterrent to mylar-backed bit rot. The goal was to have two tape copies of each file.

The other process involved just a verified tape copy. So make a checksum verified full backup. Then copy that backup offline and reverify. But this does require two tape drives.

For the small scale setup, using nearline hard drives for main backup process and a selection of external drives for archival  copies. Critical file archival on worm media like the m-disk dvds and blue-ray are very affordable.

LTO tape drive are fantastically expensive but highly reliable. The version 8 drives are $8k. Hmm. Maybe that's what the versioning is. The v6 drives were $6k and the v3 were in the $3k range. I am NOT looking forward to the v12 model. Yikes!

On January 19, 2019 7:29:38 PM EST, Steve Litt via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 09:27:46 -0500
>DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>
>> $ sudo rdiff-backup  --force --remove-older-than 60D /Backups
>
>Sometimes it could be years before you know a file got corrupted or
>deleted.
>--
>SteveT
>
>Steve Litt
>January 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
>http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.