[ale] [OT] Silkscreening

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 06:53:52 EST 2019

Have you looked at doing silk screen yourself? From a million years ago making custom tshirts: screen fabric in a frame, paint photo resist, expose pattern, wash out, place on object, squeegee ink through screen.

On December 16, 2019 6:34:39 AM EST, Jeff Hubbs via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>On 12/15/19 10:28 PM, David Ritchie via Ale wrote:
>> You can try decal sheets that use a inkjet printer + clear krylon
>paint.
>My hope was to have white markings on a black surface, which decal
>sheets can't help you with. If I made the panel white or light gray,
>the
>edges of the decal paper would still show and I'm hoping to avoid any
>"Doc Brown" appearance if I can. :)
>>
>>    At that price frontpanelexpress.com <http://frontpanelexpress.com>
>
>> may be a better option.
>Says they can't do steel. I sent a message to see if that's still the
>case if all I need done are panel markings, not cutting. They can take
>.dxf files, which Inkscape will export and in fact that's how the new
>holes were made in a waterjet cutter.
>>

>> — David
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 20:50 Jeff Hubbs via Ale <ale at ale.org
>> <mailto:ale at ale.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Reaching out to the nerd hive-mind here...
>>
>>     I have a control panel - 19"x5-1/4" (3U), steel, will be painted
>>     black
>>     crinkle - that I'd like to get text and markings onto. I have the
>>     complete design already worked up in Inkscape. It's not
>>     super-intricate
>>     and I only want to do one color - white.
>>
>>     I sent my design to a place I found here in the metro and they
>want
>>     $210, $85 of which is the "prep" charge that's non-recurring
>which
>>     does
>>     me fat lot of good because I've only got one piece and that's all
>>     I'll
>>     ever have. I'm willing to pay, but $210 is more than I'd had in
>>     mind. So
>>     I was wondering if any of you have a line on anyone from whom I
>>     might be
>>     able to get a different estimate. Alternatively, would any of you
>>     suggest I give it a go myself? It wouldn't be the worst thing in
>the
>>     world if I tried and screwed it up because the panel can always
>>     just go
>>     back on the belt sander and I'd be back at square one. :)
>>
>>     - Jeff

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.