[ale] How to test a cat5 wire?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Aug 16 09:56:01 EDT 2019

Hi,
Thanks, Raj!
I see two reports on the Amazon link that say the tool failed within a few
minutes.
For the third, I found the same on Amazon for cheaper (20 vs 25), but
again, lots of negative reviews.
Maybe I'll look at something a little more pricey that will be better
quality.
Also, thank you for the offer, but this is a tool I'm going to need for
several months.  I've got ~100 cables I need to trace, punch/crimp, and
test.  So it'll probably be better for me to have my own tool.

Thanks!

-derek

On Fri, August 16, 2019 9:33 am, Raj Wurttemberg via Ale wrote:
> Hey Derek,
>
> A cheap one like this should be sufficient:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Network-Cable-Tester-Phone/dp/B009ZXYI1U/ref=sr_1_7
>
> Locally, Micro Center has a similar one (for less $):
> https://www.microcenter.com/product/486708/network-cable-tester
>
> I have had this one for years and love it ($25):
> https://www.microcenter.com/product/209845/network-modular-cable-tester
>
> I'm is Norcross/Peachtree Corners... so if you live near-by, you are
> welcome to borrow mine.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Thanks,
> /Raj

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745