[ale] destroy old drives

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Apr 11 15:13:19 EDT 2019

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 22:11:42 -0400
Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dban advantage: it can be done across hundreds or thousands of drives
> before larcenous third party "shredders" physically touch the drives.

That's a good point.

Doesn't dban take an hour or more? How many drives can I do with one
computer? How long would it take to test whether each is really blank?

What might be nice with 1000 drives to do is dban followed by drilling
3 holes in each drive. I'd say each drive would take 1 minute for 3
holes, so it's about 2 days for one employee to drill the holes. Or,
perhaps, one employee could both dban and drill the holes, drilling the
holes while the next batch is dbanning.

SteveT