[ale] destroy old drives

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 22:11:42 EDT 2019

Dban advantage: it can be done across hundreds or thousands of drives before larcenous third party "shredders" physically touch the drives.

Hydraulic log splitter with a custom knife and a box to support drives until punched was an idea floated around google for a while.

Blacksmith trip hammer would also be effective.

On April 10, 2019 8:30:32 PM EDT, Steve Litt via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>I think opinions vary on the effectiveness of DBAN, but nobody I've
>ever met disputed that once all platters are reduced to pieces no more
>than 1 inch square, the cost of recovery precludes anyone but a state
>actor who has prioritized the daylights out of your data. To easily
>be even more cautious, you could easily dispose of platter shards in
>different places and different time periods.
>
>DBAN and its category brethren strike me as things that work
>wonderfully if used correctly, but I make mistakes. And what if the
>drive was intermittent when DBANized?
>
>And what if you accidentally DBANize the wrong drive?
>
>And then there's this: What's the advantage of DBAN over a hammer?
>
>SteveT
>

>On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 15:18:55 -0400
>Pete Hardie <pete.hardie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> But for working drives, does that substantially differ from running
>> DBAN?
>>
>> Non-working drives do require a hammer
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 10, 2019, 15:05 Steve Litt via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>>
>> > As a corollary, how much would it damage your life if somebody
>> > recovered your username, password, and positions for your
>investment
>> > firm?
>> >
>> > Fifteen minutes of hammering and you haven't a care in the world.
>> >
>> > SteveT

>hammer

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.