[ale] IBM is buying Redhat!

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Oct 30 12:24:31 EDT 2018

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 22:09:42 -0400
Jeff Hubbs via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> I'll tell you what spooks me: the trend to privatize/cloud-ize DoD
> computing resources. One of the things we always had in mind in DoD
> was that we still needed to be able to have our computing resources
> functional and performing as expected *even if the US were at war or
> even under active attack*. The systems I ran would have been good to
> go unless or until someone delivered ordnance to my raised-floor. I
> needed no permission from any outside entity to process, store, or
> receive data, and as long as we had electrical power and telecomm to
> our crews, depots, etc. then we were self-sufficient enough to hold
> up our little end of the nation's defense.

This would bother me too. I didn't know that defense computers now use
"cloud based computing." What could *possibly* go wrong?

Another thing that bothers me is that we our nation can hardly build
transistors, simple integrated circuits, and basic electronic
appliances. Heaven help us if we must go to war with our suppliers.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz