[ale] IBM is buying Redhat!

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 10:47:05 EDT 2018

Back to the beginning of this thread to escape opinions (mine
included).
For many ALE'rs, this will have no immediate impact. For those of us
using or interacting with RHEL systems, this is being viewed as a very
questionable thing for the continuity of RedHat philosophy. Doesn't
matter what people think about rpm's, systemd, elf binaries, etc,
RedHat has been a driving force in the Linux and GPL ecosystem.
Notice I said GPL and NOT open source. That was deliberate. RedHat
would take their $$$ and buy a product/process that was not GPL'ed,
clean up the codebase of all incompatible cruft, clean-room code to
backfill, and then release it under the GPL.
My greatest concern is the loss of that commitment to the GPL as a
driving force behind all things in Linux-land. IBM is married to making
money. RedHat has been married to making money with GPL software.
Satellite server was a DoD contract spec'ed to use Oracle. RedHat spent
some serious cash to disconnect Spacewalk (the community upstream
version of satellite server) from Oracle and make it work well on
PostgreSQL.
I just can't see IBM doing anything like that.

https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/ibm-acquire-red-hat-completely-changing-cloud-landscape-and-becoming-world%E2%80%99s-1-hybrid-cloud-provider
--
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.