[ale] Connecting to r-pi

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Oct 24 18:54:11 EDT 2018

The CR also permitted the return so a row could be double struck for
bolding or multipart forms that required double striking to ensure
print-through. Not all teletypes were so slow but yes sliding back along
the row would be slightly slower than just rolling the paper up one line.

Additionally the independent LF allowed typing vertically (with a
backspace after the LF) as well as staggered lines. The two independent
control characters were quite valuable for basic typesetting.