[ale] Connecting to r-pi

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Wed Oct 24 16:03:34 EDT 2018

If you're inclined to believe Wikipedia, the early teletypes would actually perform a carriage return to the left and line feed the paper up one row on a LF, but the CR was necessary because of timing--it took longer than the gap between characters to physically return the print head so they added the CR to allow enough time. Apparently they sometimes had to add NULs as well. Even some CRT terminals took too long to scroll all the text up. Apparently they didn't have flow control back then.

I used to have a TRS-80 and a "Gorilla Banana" printer. I could never get the flow control to work with it, and had to write a program to print stuff. It would manually pause a fraction of a second after each line before sending the next one to the port. Those were the days! ha ha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline
http://mrweese.blogspot.com/2007/06/gorilla-banana.html

--
Scott Plante