[ale] Way-the-hell-and-gone off topic

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 08:25:13 EDT 2018

Guiness 200th Aniversary Stout (outstanding and not like modern, US Guiness)
Highland Oatmeal Porter
Founders Porter
Sam Smith Taddy Porter
Sam Smith Imperial Stout
Harvistoun Old Engine Oil ($$$$)
New Holland Dragons Milk
New Holland The Poet

Twain's has their stout on tap. Really outstanding and available in pitchers! Their porter is very good, too. New brewer is a keeper!

A beer cocktail I created from a beer I really didn't like:

Creature Comforts Athena (tart German wheat)
Ikea blueberry or lingonberry juice concentrate
Pimm's #1

Rocks glass

Equal parts Athena and Pimm's. Juice to a rich color and to sweeten the tart. In a 6 oz glass I use about 2-3 tablespoons. Stir. It help to add juice to Pimm's, stir, then add beer and a light stir.

On March 28, 2018 9:20:22 PM EDT, Jonathan Meek via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>I am relieved to know that I am not the only one who has found the pale
>Ales and IPAs to less than palatable. Mostly found oatmeal stouts be
>among
>my favorites. Are there any good dark recommendations people have?
>Running
>on low in my beer drawer.
>
>Jonathan
>
>On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 7:45 PM, Putnam, James M. via Ale <ale at ale.org>
>wrote:
>

>>     In 1986 I was in the Vancouver for the World's Fair (hey, I just
>> noticed
>>     that Outlook Web App Lite(tm) recognizes Emacs key bindings... I
>wonder
>>     how the hell that happened?) when I noticed what seemed to be a
>>     relatively sober young Canadian gent take a long guzzle out of a
>paper
>> bag
>>     and become visibly intoxicated in what would have been record
>time for
>> me.
>>
>>     He tossed the bag at a trash can, predictably missed, and
>unsteadily
>> wandered
>>     off, presumably in search of more of whatever it was.
>>
>>     Being curious and a little thirsty, I retrieved the bag and had a
>> look. Inside
>>     was an empty generic beer can labeled "Carling-O'Keefe Extra Old
>Stock"
>>     marked at 6% ABV, which while high wasn't a record breaker of any
>kind.
>>
>>     An older man standing nearby said "A word of advice, young man.
>That
>> stuff is
>>     called High Test and I wouldn't touch it if I were you."
>>
>>     I thanked him for the warning and seduced by the romance of being
>at
>> least
>>     momentarily unchaperoned in a foreign country headed straight for
>the
>> nearest
>>     package store where I asked for and was given a can of High Test.
>>
>>     The woman behind the counter blanched, which was kind of a good
>trick
>> for a
>>     Canadian, but she handed it over in a paper bag without comment.
>>
>>     I stepped outside, popped it open and tried a swallow. It was
>cold and
>> went down
>>     OK at first, but when it warmed up the nose hit me and I almost
>> gagged. It smelled
>>     and tasted like somebody had carbonated a can of creamed corn and
>> added a
>>     shot of pure grain alcohol. The aftertaste was cloyingly sweet,
>and
>> for the
>>     the first and only time in my life I threw away a can of beer
>without
>> finishing it.
>>
>>     This frankly kind of killed the appeal of the famed Canadian
> [...]

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.