[ale] Stale NFS mounts - Switch to iSCSI?

Raj Wurttemberg rajaw at c64.us
Tue Mar 27 09:12:16 EDT 2018

Many of our client systems share data via NFS (v3) and everything works fine
except when the server with the NFS export is rebooted, which happens
regularly due to OS patching (not my decision). The systems that have the
NFS export mounted can no longer do even a simple 'ls', they just hang.
Unmounting and remounting the NFS export or rebooting the client system does
resolve the issue, but I was curious if I switched to iSCSI if I would
experience the same issue? I know the easy answer is to mount the NFS
directly off the SAN (EMC) but I was told that the storage team would not
create NFS exports for me.  I was also looking at using autofs for the NFS
mounts instead of putting them in the fstab file.

Just curious if anyone else had any advice.

Thanks,

/Raj