[ale] long shot: different ldap servers for authentication and for updates

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 17:51:55 EDT 2018

We are running a master openldap server with 2 slaves. All of our
workstations are configured to authenticate versus the slaves. The
problem is that if someone wants to change their password, it wants to
talk to the slaves. But you cannot do updates on the slave/replication
servers. The name service ldap cache daemon (nslcd) does not appear to
have a way to configure different servers for reads/authentication and
updates. Any ideas on a solution for this? About the only thing I can
think of is to have a machine set aside as a place to change your
password. So if you want to change your password, you have to ssh to
this special machine which is configured to talk to the master ldap server.
--
Todd