[ale] Meet the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Mar 14 13:22:23 EDT 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 09:26:39AM -0700, Alex Carver via Ale wrote:
> Define flaky?  The LAN9514 (in the older Pi) is not an OTG controller to
> start.  It's just the USB hub with an Ethernet PHY attached to one
> internal port.  The newer controller has six downstream ports.  The
> datasheet isn't available yet from Microchip.

The RPi family's SoC only has one USB port connected to a DesignWare OTG
USB controller that's infamously flaky when multiple (or sometimes even
only one) higher-bandwidth USB device is plugged in, causing one device
or the other to get starved for bandwidth.

The LAN9514 is actually a 5-port USB hub, with an ethernet controller
wired into one of those ports.

I know of several printer models that fail to work with the RPi2 or RPi3
unless something is plugged into the RPi's onboard ethernet port,
ironically becasue simply having a link up on the LAN9514 is enough to
create enough chattiness on the (shared) bus to prevent the controller
from DOSing the printer with USB2 PING flow control messages every
350-500ns.  A typical PC USB controller implements a backoff, settling
at around a 4us period.  There's apparently no direct way to program the
DWC OTG controller to implement something similar...

(And yes, there are multiple open bugs filed with the RPi kernel
 folks.  Ironically the newer RPis are worse, not better, due to faster
 internal busses..)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^