[ale] Multi-label names

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 15:55:47 EST 2018

It's getting dns info via dhcp. And that appears to be working. It knows
the search domain.

I used a packet sniffer to determine that on an old machine, it talks to
the dns server for the fqdn and then again for the unqualified domain
name. For example, if I type "host psock" instead of "host spock", on an
old machine I can see it send a packet to the name server for
"psock.example.com". Then it sends a packet asking for "psock". But on a
newer, broken machine, it only asks the dns server for the fqdn.  It
does not appear to know to ask the dns server for the unqualified domain
name.

PS: Thanks for the explanation of multi-level name. I *think* I get it.

On 03/07/2018 01:52 PM, lnxgnome via Ale wrote:
> Regarding the term "multi-label"...
>
> Multi-label names are routed to all local interfaces that have a DNS
> server configured, plus the globally configured DNS server if there is
> one. Address lookups from the link-local address range are never routed
> to DNS.
> (https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-resolved.service.html)
>
> single-label host names (host names containing no dots)
> (https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.network.html)
>
> It would stand to reason that a "multi-label" name has dots.
>

> If the IP info is Static (not DHCP), do you have a "DNS=" line in
> systemd's resolved.conf ?
> (https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/resolved.conf.html)
>
> -LnxGnome
>
> On 20180307 1:09 PM, Todor Fassl via Ale wrote:
>> I am having a problem after an upgrade to ubuntu artful. If I do a
>> host lookup for a non-existing, unqualified host name, it takes a long
>> time to error ot. Say I have a host named spock. I can say, "host
>> spock" and that comes back instantly. If I say, "host sopck" or some
>> other typo, it takes like 10 seconds and I get this:
>> $ host -v sopck
>> Trying "sopck.example.com
>> Trying "sopck"
>> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>>
>> On an old machine, I get this:
>> $ host -v sopck
>> Trying "sopck.example.com
>> Trying "sopck"
>> Host sopck not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>> Received 98 bytes from 192.168.0.1#53 in 0 ms
>>
>> I see that on the ubuntu/artful machines, I am running systemd-resolv
>> (through no fault of my own). It's listening on 127.0.0.1 and caching
>> DNS queries. So trying to read the man page for systemd-resolv, I keep
>> coming across the term "multi label names". I never heard that term
>> before, don't know what it means, and it appears to be ungoogleable.
>>
>> Any advice on the original problem or on the meaning of that term
>> would be appreciated.

Todd