[ale] Frank Heart, Who Linked Computers Before the Internet, Dies at 89

Scott M. Jones eff at dragoncon.org
Wed Jun 27 12:53:33 EDT 2018

Sadly, pioneers of the first generation of Internet technology are dying
off.  Frank Heart developed the first IMP.  I remember IMP's from
college.  (Basically the first router.)

Frank Heart, Who Linked Computers Before the Internet, Dies at 89

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/technology/frank-heart-who-linked-computers-before-the-internet-dies-at-89.html

"The machine was built during nine frenetic months. Just before Labor
Day in 1969, two members of the team flew to California to install the
first machine — roughly the size of a refrigerator and weighing more
than 900 pounds — at the University of California, Los Angeles. A few
weeks later, the second I.M.P. went in, at Stanford Research Institute
(now SRI International in Menlo Park, Calif.), and a computer network
was born."