[ale] github

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 15:14:25 EDT 2018

I'm still on the fence on this. Yes, GitHub has the right to sell to MS,
and it's a business. Sell to the highest bidder.

The issue of version control is less of an issue for me. That is, yes
it's an issue but you can run git locally. I liked GitHub because I
could collaborate with others on code and point to my repositories as
part of my resume. Of course, there was the "have a current copy
off-site" thing as well.

Open Source business models still need business. Most, if not all, of
the "free" apps are funded by Venture Capital in the hopes of one day
being sold. Compute power and bandwidth cost, who pays for free stuff?

I looked at GitLab a little, last year. My head still doesn't see "Ruby
on Rails" and "Security" happening in the same conversation. Even as
much as I like Ruby.

Leam