[ale] Home Assistant / Docker / Network Security

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Jul 24 16:08:13 EDT 2018

Alex,

On Tue, July 24, 2018 3:54 pm, Alex Carver via Ale wrote:

> OpenVPN on a phone is actually quite easy.  I use it all the time on my
> Android.  Download the client from the store, generate your system keys
> & certs, generate keys and certs for  each client, then create an
> all-in-one .ovpn file (contains config, keys, certs, etc. in one block)
> that the client reads in when creating a new connection.

Where in iOS can I plug that in?

[snip]
> If you're worried about security then you'd have to trust the docker
> image as well.  The same thing goes for Hass.io.  It seems that even
> Hass.io is one more wrapper to worry about over the base Home Assistant
> installation.

HA is a bunch of python crap.  Hass.io is a docker package and management
wrapped around the python crap.

I feel perfectly comfortable securing a Fedora system.  I don't feel as
comfortable securing a bunch of python crap, let along a docker package
around it.  :(    I feel even less comfortable give the thread I linked in
my OP.

The "benefit" of using hass.io is that it allows "add-ons" (which
apparently are not usable from the raw HA code).  Some of the add-ons I
don't care about.  Some of the add-ons I can implement myself (e.g.
LetsEncrypt).  But there may be others that I *do* care about -- hard to
say.

At least Raj pointed me to the method to upgrade the python crap.  ;)

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745