[ale] [OT] Soldering

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Jul 5 15:08:54 EDT 2018

I learned in high school.

Heat the metal/joint, not the solder.  The solder will be "sucked" into
the hot connector. Avoid overheating components. They will fry.  NEVER
touch the solder to the iron.

Category5.tv did a show about soldering and showed what NOT to do then
later, what you should do.  It was about 1-2 months ago. Some experts
were in the live chat during the show providing insight.

Lots of other things to know, which I don't know, concerning flux,
different types of solder, and what sort of heat is needed for different
types of joints.

How to remove solder is an important skill too.  I like the sucker
method ... heat the solder, then suck it using a bulb.

I've never needed more than a $15 iron.  Fixed some loose connections on
lots of electronics around here over the years.

Practice on some old junk a few times before doing anything important.
Well ventilated areas - don't want to inhale toxic fumes.