[ale] Slightly OT: System default python version

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 18:03:33 EST 2018

I got a question from a student who is using python. "I'd rather not
hard code in any python version. Is there any reason to have the system
default be 2 instead of 3?"

He had asked me to install the python-matplotlib package. I was like,
"Are you sure you want python-matplotlib and not python3-matplotlib?" He
is still coding in python2.7 instead of python3 but not by choice. Is
there such a thing as a system default python version? To program in
python3, doesn't he have to modify his code?

--
Todd