[ale] VirtualBox v6 vs KVM Performance

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 11:09:39 EST 2018

Others said it first but I'll chime in too.
The VM doesn't need to control the physical nic, wireless or wired. It typically uses a vnic which either directly bridges to the physical nic or is nat'ed behind the bridge. Use the nat with a wireless nic to avoid the need to embed wireless credentials in your vm.

I'm pretty sure one of my nat'ed vms can work even when I transition from wireless to wired on my laptop.

On December 31, 2018 9:15:34 AM EST, Raj Wurttemberg via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>I like an really want to use KVM on my laptop (big-beefy Lenovo with 32
>GB)
>but I struggle to get KVM to work with the wireless NIC.  After a few
>hours,
>I gave up and installed VirtualBox (sigh).
>
>Yes... I know... KVM is really meant for wired "servers".  Maybe I'm
>missing
>something obvious.
>
>/Raj

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.