[ale] Replacing shared host?

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 13:46:53 EST 2018

On 12/20/18 1:31 PM, Simba via Ale wrote:
> I hope my inline quoting comes across legibly.

Yes, easily readable.

>> Not really. Businesses can and should limit themselves to who and how
>>   they do business. Just because someone wants to pay for a service
>> does not mean the business must accept. Happens all the time.
>
> With all due respect, that's wrong. And you won't find any responsible
> business in America who will tell you the actions they took in response
> to abuse reports. Not one.

My statement is correct. I choose who my customers are. I have been in
various successful businesses for decades.

I'm also pretty sure businesses do disclose some actions they take due
to abuse reports. For example, all those credit card and other companies
who have been hacked spend time and money explaining to their customer
base what they have done to re-earn trust. Obviously, some details are
not disclosed.

<BASED OFF YOUR RECENT AMENDMENT>

I agree, DO, AWS, or whomever trying to PREDICT a customer's actions is
next to impossible. That's why Rich's e-mail is so valuable; the
business should monitor and respond to improper behavior. That way they
are dealing with facts and evidence, not guesses about potential behavior.

> It's astonishing to me in this era of privacy outrages that anyone would
> think themselves so entitled as to be deserving of such information, or
> to argue in favor of such disclosures.

Being astonished isn't a bad thing.

Let me encapsulate my next response, based on this:

>> I commend it to you; well worth the read.
>
> I doubt it, based on this:
>
>> I strongly recommend against Digital Ocean and Choopa/Vultr: they're
>> very poorly-run operations, and as a result of that, they've been
>> noticed. And not in a good way.  (It is never a good sign when I
>> recognize an operation's name immediately because there are entries
>> for it in my MTA configuration and/or firewalls.)
>
> To try and keep my response short: That paragraph basically says Mr.
> Kulawiec doesn't know anything about the hosting industry.
>
> I do, I work in it. I'm not going to learn anything from his 10 page
> E-mail written at 3 in the morning.
>
> My suggestion: If that E-mail contains such valuable information as a
> couple people have suggested, then blog it and share it with the world.

I have worked in the hosting, large datacenter, secure facility,
financial, and DoD space for a couple of decades. I learned things from
Rich's e-mail. Based on what I know and what Rich wrote, Rich knows a
heck of a lot about the hosting industry.