[ale] Replacing shared host?

Simba simbalion-ale at tailpuff.net
Thu Dec 20 13:31:16 EST 2018

I hope my inline quoting comes across legibly.

> Not really. Businesses can and should limit themselves to who and how
>  they do business. Just because someone wants to pay for a service
> does not mean the business must accept. Happens all the time.

With all due respect, that's wrong. And you won't find any responsible
business in America who will tell you the actions they took in response
to abuse reports. Not one.

It's astonishing to me in this era of privacy outrages that anyone would
think themselves so entitled as to be deserving of such information, or
to argue in favor of such disclosures.

This particular argument started with someone saying Digital Ocean
doesn't respond to abuse reports. I know they do, because one of my
automated scripts accidentally sent an abuse report to them about one of
my own droplets, and within 24 hours I received an E-mail from them
demanding an explanation of the alleged behavior. The issue was swiftly
resolved when I explained that it was a false alert, and that I owned
both droplets in question.

> I commend it to you; well worth the read.

I doubt it, based on this:

> I strongly recommend against Digital Ocean and Choopa/Vultr: they're
> very poorly-run operations, and as a result of that, they've been
> noticed. And not in a good way.  (It is never a good sign when I
> recognize an operation's name immediately because there are entries
> for it in my MTA configuration and/or firewalls.)

To try and keep my response short: That paragraph basically says Mr.
Kulawiec doesn't know anything about the hosting industry.

I do, I work in it. I'm not going to learn anything from his 10 page
E-mail written at 3 in the morning.

My suggestion: If that E-mail contains such valuable information as a
couple people have suggested, then blog it and share it with the world.

Simba Lion - https://tailpuff.net
https://keybase.io/simbalion

"Why is a raven like a writing desk?"