[ale] Automation tools...

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 09:41:18 EST 2018

On 12/20/18 9:31 AM, Jerald Sheets wrote:

>> On Dec 20, 2018, at 9:00 AM, Leam Hall via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>>

>> I'm with Jerald on this one; Puppet and Ansible seem to be have the market share. Puppet has somewhat moved away from Pure Ruby under the hood, Ansible is Python 2.7 as of the Ansible 2.10 release, I think. Some movement towards Python 3 but not cut over yet.
>>
>> Ansible wins if you have a diverse environment; you don't have to worry about "is there an agent for this OS?". If you can ssh or winrm to it, you're golden.
>>
>> And DoD folks require passworded sudo, which Ansible supports.
>

> I found that once Bolt was released, my use of Ansible waned dramatically.  Don’t get me wrong, we still have hundreds of thousands of hosts on it, I can just do everything in Bolt now over SSH & WinRM the same way.
>
> I think Puppet realized they had to do something about the Ansible “issue”, and that’s why Bolt exists.
>
> —j

Oohh....I didn't know about Bolt! "Agentless" was a deciding factor for
Ansible. That and having Puppet support tell us a directory had to be
777. That was a couple years ago so maybe it's been fixed.

Raj, given Bolt my objection to Puppet is rescinded. Agentless is the
way to go, though. Also, if you maintain RHEL 6 boxes Ansible's support
for Python 2.6.x, the default for RHEL 6, ends soon if it has not ended
already.

Leam