[ale] Automation tools...

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 08:46:58 EST 2018

That’s correct… that simply isn’t true.

Puppet, Chef, and Ansible are the kings of the automation heap.  SALT users remind me of rabid sports fans.  Their last place team always fills the stadium.

I appreciate Python and the power it represents, but SALT just doesn’t have market penetration at all.  Further, in the world of Microservices, Cloud, and ZTN, you better have some Ruby-ish chops.  You really have to change the culture of your whole department to move to a tool like SALT.  Not saying it isn’t capable, it just seems to cut across the direction of most of the rest of systems work going on today.

These are opinions and observations based on personal interaction with other teams across the country.  Not intended to pinch the butt of your particular favorite $tool.

—j