[ale] Passwords displaying on multi-user system?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 17:01:59 EST 2018

I've seen screen flashes of text but it's always been random library
code stuff and gdm errors. I've not used lightdm before. Bluntly, the
system should never be storing passwords in plain text using any
method. It's supposed to be flushed out or overwritten immediately when
the user entry is converted to salted:sha256 format. But this is more
of why X is notoriously insecure.
It could also be a random thing that a user "saw" their password in
that half second and really perceived it as their password when it was
really just crap. Humans make patterns out of everything.
If someone has a camera with slow motion ability, have multiple people
log in then lock the screen and video the "sign in as another user"
process in slow motion. If the others see their password in the video,
notify Ubuntu and lightdm developers.
--
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.