[ale] DIY NAS vs Boxed NAS?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Mon Dec 3 13:07:00 EST 2018

On 2018-12-03 09:48, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Hmm. That $annual$ difference is in the range I spend monthly on beer
> :-)
> Not that there's anything relating the two other than "ale".
> Just Sayin'

I don't get to drink beer so I guess I should put my savings into NAS
hardware. :)

I think given my searching for cases I'll end up skipping the hot-swap
capabilities and just go with a sound-proofed large ATX case.  I see
some that are not cheap but have ten to twelve drive mounts in them with
dual fans blowing across (and gaps between the drives for air flow).  A
small, passively cooled ITX/mITX motherboard (like one of the
supermicros) and some big 140 mm fans at low speed would make the whole
thing pretty quiet.

Eventually I'll have a place where this type of hardware can live
without noise considerations.  I already have Sun A1000's in the garage
because of the noise but this i sgoing to be  the main NAS handling
backups it would probably appreciate living with better climate control. :)